2014 OPEN GRANT GUIDELINES/ELIGIBILITY/PROCESS
This year Open Grants will be awarded in both of the mission areas of the Satterberg Foundation.
The deadline for submitting letters of inquiry is March 14, 2014. To read about prior grantees, please take the time to look under Open Grants, “Current Grantees” and/or “Past Grantees”.
The Satterberg Foundation seeks to fund organizations or programs working to promote a just society or a sustainable environment. Open Grants may be used for operating support, program development, capacity building or a combination thereof. Advocacy, collaboration, organizing, or program work are among the possibilities we will consider. Amaze us with your vision.
We plan to award up to 20 Open Grants in 2014, to be paid over 1 – 3 years. We invite two pools of applicants. The first pool is organizations with an annual budget of $1 million or less as demonstrated by the total expense amount reported in the organization’s current financial statement. The second pool is organizations with annual budgets between $1 and $5 million as demonstrated by the total expense amount reported in the organization’s current financial statement. The application process is competitive.
Organizations with annual budgets under $1 million dollars can request a one-time Open Grant up to $25,000 or a multi-year Open Grant up to $75,000 over 3 years. Requests for funding may not exceed 20% of the applicant’s annual expense budget.
Organizations with annual budgets between $1-$5 million dollars can request a one-time Open Grant up to $100,000 or a multi-year Open Grant up to $300,000 over 3 years.
• Applicant organization must be its own 501 ( c ) 3 organization.
• Applicant organization’s main focus must include working to promote a just society or a sustainable environment.
• Applicant organization must not employ any member of the Satterberg Foundation Board of Directors, nor have any member of the Satterberg Foundation Board of Directors serving on their Board of Directors or on any other Advisory Board or the like.
• Applicant organization must have at least one paid FTE (full time equivalent) employee.
• Applicant organization must be nondiscriminatory in its policies and practices in regards to age, creed, disability, ethnic origin, gender, race and sexual orientation.
• Applicant organization must be located within or provide programs to one or more of the communities of Satterberg Foundation Board Members.
• A letter of inquiry is required, using the format provided below, to arrive in the Satterberg Foundation office by March 14, 2014. The letter may be sent electronically or by traditional mail service.
• By April 30th, The Satterberg Foundation office will notify all applicant organizations of the status of their LOI, whether or not they will be asked to submit a complete application.
• Organizations asked to submit full applications will use our modified version of the Philanthropy Northwest Common Grant Application Form, which will be included with the entire application packet, sent with the notification letter.
• The amount and timing of each award will depend on the proposal’s scope and the organization’s size. Matching funds are not required.
• Full applications will be due in the Satterberg Foundation office by September 20, 2014. We encourage, but do not require, electronic submission of applications and supporting documents. If submitting by USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, or other, please do not require a signature for delivery.
• Final decisions by the Satterberg Foundation Board of Directors will be made at the end of November 2014 and promptly communicated to all applicants.
Please contact the office with additional questions here.